Article Text

Download PDFPDF

192 Anticoagulation in palliative care: a multi-site regional audit of clinical practice
  1. Sara McLintock,
  2. Kat Moss,
  3. Grace Ting,
  4. Simon Roughneen,
  5. Amanda Watson,
  6. Claire Cadwallader,
  7. Jessica Dodd and
  8. Alison Coackley
  1. Marie Curie Hospice Liverpool, Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, The Clatterbridge Cancer Centre NHS Foundation Trust, Warrington and Halton Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust


Background The Palliative Care population represents a heterogenous group of patients with variable risk factors for bleeding and venous thromboembolism (VTE). Decisions about VTE treatment and primary prophylaxis can be challenging in these patients.

Aim The aim of this audit was to evaluate the management of anticoagulation in the hospice, hospital and community settings against current guidelines. The results of this audit, in addition to an extensive systematic review, informed the update of regional guidelines for the management of anticoagulation in Palliative Care Patients.

Methods A retrospective case note review was carried out across a regional palliative care network in North West England.

Results 189 patient records were analysed across 12 different sites within the region. 70% of patients were in hospice, 23% in hospital and 7% in the community. Of 89 patients on treatment dose anticoagulation, only 9% had the intended duration of anticoagulation documented. Of 60 patients on treatment dose low molecular weight heparin (LMWH), weight was documented in 63%. Renal function was documented in 88% of patients on LMWH, and in 75% of 24 patients on treatment dose direct oral anticoagulants (DOACs). 71% (66/93) had a venous thromboembolism assessment completed. Prophylactic anticoagulation was given in 43% of these 93 patients. For prophylaxis, the majority (90%) received LMWH, with the remaining 10% prescribed a DOAC. 42 patients died during the episode of care. The anticoagulation (either primary prophylaxis or treatment) was continued until death in 43% of these patients.

Conclusion Clear documentation of anticoagulation duration, and factors which influence choice of anticoagulant and dose (eg renal function and weight), are important for safe prescribing.

These results have influenced the content of a regional guideline to enable healthcare professionals to make effective, evidence-based and patient-centred decisions about anticoagulation in patients with a life-limiting illness.

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.